Monday, April 10, 2006

Is Mahabarath and Ramayan true

I was on a friendly chat with my manager last week. While disussing we some how came to this topic, what u feel about Mahabarath and Ramayan ( For those who doesnt know what they are they are big epics which tells about existence of hindu gods). I told that I think they are real stories and are not true incidents. Few other people got interested in this topic and joined this conversation.
My argument was they used bow and arrows to fight wars. They were primitive tools and their imagination is limited that they didnt go beyond this. For that, my manager told there were use of chakras which can kill human being. Yeah good thought but are they just imaginative minds to picturise a weapon like this. Having said that, he told the existence of place like Ayodhya as mentioned in Ramayana is true. But if chakra was true there may be atleast few places where they have told about its making (i mean the science behind). Another colleague argued saying they wanted to have this epic being understood to lay man and want to avoid such implementation part. I told there may be some atleast few supporting scripts saying about their making. But none of them were found. That ended the topic for the day.
I went home and was talking to my brother. He was also of opinion that they were just stories. My opinion was they fought war on horse and chariots. And didnt use any other big vehicles (I mean the vehicles of this era), which shows how their imagination was limited. My brother sighted the use of pushpak being mentioned there (which is like an aeroplane).
And also people say that it was one god and went to different places and there are different stories for every religion that happened at different era.
From my above posting dont think im an athiest. I just say ramayana and mahabharatha are stories. For me nature is god and religion is seeing this god in different forms.

2 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

Both are stories. I think the authors of both the stories wanted to preach "discipline" to Hindus and they have written it. Over a period of time, people have started believing it has happened, and we have lost the traces of it.

one reason to believe why mahabharata is a story: karnan is a very important character in it. the birth of karnan is un-believable. Science breaks there: soorya bhagavan comes and gives a child as gift to kunthi. Even before 1000s and 1000s of years it would have taken approx. 10 months for giving birth to a child.

And also "kavasa kunadalam" which has grown along with karnan...unbelievable.

But these stories are very good moral stories, and preaching it during childhood can make a child disciplined.

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Rajesh said...

I agree guys krish and Ranga. I have same opinion as u.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home